Applications are invited for a research specialist position in the lab of Dr. Yumi Kim.
The Laboratory of Dr. Yumi Kim is seeking a Research Specialist to aid in our investigation of chromosome behavior during meiosis. The Research Specialist is expected to perform laboratory bench work, contribute to the design and analysis of experiments, and generate figures for peer-reviewed manuscripts. The Specialist will also provide general support to the laboratory by training new students, monitoring laboratory inventory, and assisting laboratory members in their experiments.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Conduct independent research project and collaborate with other members of the lab in their research projects.
- Lab management duties include supervising undergraduates and contributing to the making of lab stock reagents including worm plates, LB plates, buffers and media.
- Maintaining and organizing lab strains, bacterial clones, and other common lab reagent collections.
- Managing supplies, ordering consumables and maintaining records, and upholding safety regulations.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or related field.
- One year of laboratory experience performing relevant techniques.
- Master’s degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Previous experience with molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry are strongly preferred.
- A strong understanding of genetics is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills, record keeping, computer skills (Microsoft and Adobe suites of programs, plasmid construction programs, and database management) are very important.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Materials, machines and/or equipment used on the job include E. coli liquid culture, tissue culture, autoclaves, thermocyclers, balances, pH meters, centrifuges, electrophoresis system, dissecting microscopes, and compound microscopes.
- Excellent organizational skills are required. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite. The technician should be competent in Excel, Powerpoint (or Keynote), Word, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
Johns Hopkins University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and actively encourages interest from minorities and women.